Thursday, January 27, 2011

Southwestern Chicken Wraps!

For the last couple of months, every time I was grocery shopping, a bag of wraps kept calling my name to buy them. I finally gave in a few weeks ago and bought some, not knowing what I was going to make with them. Yesterday I decided I better search online to find a yummy recipe to make before the wraps go bad. I searched, wrap recipes with chicken and black beans and here is the recipe I found and made last night!

Southwestern Chicken Wrap
(here is the recipe it has online but I changed a few things and will tell you what I did)

Serves/Makes: 4 Ready in: Less than 30 minutes

Ingredients:
1 roasted chicken (2 lb size) skin discarded, meat removed from bones and shredded.
(I think boneless skinless chicken breasts would work the best if you don't already have a roasted chicken!)
1/2 cup barbeque sauce
1 cup canned black beans-rinsed
1/2 cup frozen corn--thawed, or canned corn, drained
1/4 cup light sour cream (I just used what I normally get)
4 leaves of romaine lettuce
4 whole-wheat tortillas (10 inch size)---(I used traditional softwraps and heated them in the microwave)
2 limes cut in wedges (I didn't have any, but you only have it as a side)

Directions:
Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, barbeque sauce, beans, corn, and sour cream.Stir to combine and cook until hot. 4 to 5 minutes.
Assemble by placing chicken mixture on wrap and top with lettuce, roll it up as you would a burrito. Slice in half diagonally and serve warm, with a wedge of lime.

Now here are the modifications I made:
I didn't have a roasted chicken and I also didn't want to boil chicken, so I just used a can of Swanson chunk chicken that was 12.5 oz. I think a chicken breast would be the best but it was still delicious with what I used and easier!
I still only used 1/2 cup of bbq sauce because I didn't want it too strong, but I put in about a can of black beans and a can of corn because I wanted more of those. Also for the sour cream, I used a little less than 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 cup.
I just used my normal lettuce that I would put on a burrito or tacos. And then of course a soft wrap.
Here is everything I put in my wrap when putting it together.
So you have the wrap, put the chicken mixture, then shredded cheese, mexican rice(I don't know why they didn't put those in the recipe because it was delicious with those!), lettuce and a little more sour cream in with it. (Darrin also put fresh salsa in his)

So extra stuff you might need, cooked mexican rice from rice a roni, cheese shredded, and salsa if you want.

This recipe was extremely delicious. You could taste a little bit of barebeque flavor but it wasn't overwhelming!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

The Cranney's said...

Yay! Thanks for the recipe. It was very yummy. We also added ranch on top which added some extra flavor.